M a n i l a
PRESIDENTIAL DECREE No. 86 December 31, 1972
CREATING CITIZENS ASSEMBLIES
WHEREAS, the Revised Barrio Charter, Republic Act No. 3590, provides for the Barrio Assembly consisting of all persons who are residents of the barrio for at least six months, eighteen years of age or over, citizens of the Republic of the Philippines and who are duly registered in the list of Barrio Assembly members kept by the barrio secretary;
WHEREAS, it is necessary to broaden the base of citizen participation in the democratic process and to afford ample opportunities for the citizenry to express their views on important national issues;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, FERDINAND E. MARCOS, President of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers in me vested by the Constitution as Commander-in-Chief of all the Armed Forces of the Philippines, do hereby decree as part of the law of the land the following:
1. There is hereby created in each Barrio in municipalities and in each district in chartered cities a Citizens Assembly; provided that in the case of the City of Manila and other cities where there are no barrios, there shall be a Citizens Assembly for every ward.
2. The Citizens Assembly shall consist of all persons who are residents of the barrio, district or ward for at least six months, fifteen years of age or over, citizens of the Philippines and who are registered in the list of Citizens Assembly members kept by the barrio, district or ward secretary.
3. The Citizens Assembly shall meet at the call of the barrio captain, the district or ward leader or at the request of at least one-tenth of the members to consider matters of local or national concern.
4. For the purpose of conducting business and taking any official action in the Citizens Assembly, at least one-fifth of the members should be present to constitute a quorum. The proceedings shall be recorded by the barrio, district or ward secretary or in his absence, any member designated as acting secretary by the barrio captain or district or ward leader.
5. This Decree shall take effect immediately.
Done in the City of Manila, this 31st day of December, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and seventy-two.
The Lawphil Project - Arellano Law Foundation